When it comes to oral hygiene, there are a few key things you should be aware of. Good oral hygiene is possible when the right action and habits are implemented within your daily life. Unfortunately, there is no one-stop solution to great oral health, but with the right knowledge, caring for your oral health can become both enjoyable and leave you feeling more fulfilled. Here are 5 things you should know about oral hygiene:
Focus on Lifestyle Changes
Your physical health goes hand in hand with your dental health. With a healthy diet and avoidance of bad habits such as smoking, excessive drinking, and consumption of sugar, you will begin to reap the benefits in terms of noticing better oral health.
Begin with a healthy diet. On the whole, this refers to cutting out large quantities of sugar and other cavity-inducing foods such as soft bread, potato chips, and candies. Simple tweaks like switching from drinking soda to water, consuming a fruit instead of candy and avoiding snacking can all positively influence your oral hygiene.
Your habits, routines, and choices affect all areas of your life. The same is true with oral hygiene. Brushing your teeth twice per day, flossing every day or after each meal and using effective mouthwash can all have a large influence on your dental health. In order to establish routines, it can be a good idea to provide yourself with targets or daily reminders, perhaps on your phone, reminding you to brush your teeth and floss. If you have children, it may be a good idea to make brushing teeth a fun exercise by rewarding them with prizes or treats, this can make it much easier for them to adopt good oral hygiene habits into their lives.
Seek Treatment Fast
The sooner treatment is found and implemented the sooner the problem will pass. At Azalea Dental Ocala we provide a variety of treatments spanning across general, cosmetic and preventive dentistry to assist patients in achieving their dental goals. Fast treatment can help prevent dental infections and the loss of a tooth. Here are a few of the treatments we provide:
- Teeth Whitening: This is ideal for removing stains and discoloration from your teeth which can interfere with your smile. Our cosmetic dentists help patients smile confidently and we love the look on patient’s faces when they leave happy with what we have achieved.
- Braces: Braces makes it possible for patients to correct their smile. Not only is it affordable, but also one of the most popular option for straightening your teeth.
- Root Canal: Root canal therapy is used to combat tooth infection; the infection is cleaned out with the help of the root canal in order to prevent it from spreading to the gums and other surrounding teeth.
- Bridges and Dental Crowns: An incomplete smile can ruin your confidence and leave you embarrassed. This is where dental bridges and crowns come in, they work by filling the void left by missing teeth to create a more natural, realistic smile.
Talk to Professionals
It can often be difficult to know the problem faced alone, which is why a trained professional dentist can be a valuable resource in recognizing a suitable solution. Our fourth tip towards great oral hygiene refers to seeing and discussing dental treatment options with a professional as opposed to trying to determine one yourself. A dental expert, like one of the members of our team at Azalea Dental, is able to advise you on the best, most effective path to reaching your dental health goals.
By educating yourself about the dangers of ignoring proper dental hygiene and the causes of why issues arise you are able to avoid the common pitfalls most fall for. Reading our informational resources along with other, subsequent resources puts you one step ahead of the curve with regards to knowing how to manage oral hygiene. Here are a few pieces of advice to get you started:
- Avoid damaging foods: Sugary foods like candy and soda can wreak havoc with your teeth and are known to cause issues like decay. Other seemingly harmless food such as bread has a lot of refined flour which can also damage teeth and result in decay.
- Tooth grinding (bruxism): This can contribute to tooth loss by wearing away the tooth enamel, cracking and chipping the teeth. Not only this but by not having the bruxism checked, you may notice teeth moving free from the gums and bones which can also result in tooth loss.
- Smoking: Not only is smoking bad for your lungs and general health, but it can also lead to tooth loss through increased risk of decay and gum disease.
How to Prevent Dental Issues
Our team at Azalea Dental Ocala regularly sees patients and enjoys assisting with education around oral hygiene. We strongly believe that by focusing on the factors that lead to the issues, patients can successfully stop dental problems from arising in the first place.
Individuals wishing to find out more about proper oral care and work with our team of dental experts to adopt an effective oral hygiene routine should get in touch with by calling us at 352-237-7896, where a member of our friendly team will be able to point you in the right direction.